The candy business is not always sweet. In this episode, Kate McCrea, McCrea’s Candies and I cover the challenges of cash flow and the importance of having a strong team to support your business growth.
A little About Kate and McCrea’s Candies
McCrea’s Candies was founded by husband-wife team Jason and Kate McCrea. Building upon backgrounds in biology and chemistry, the McCrea’s transitioned into the sweet science of candy making after double layoffs. Started in a home kitchen, McCrea’s Candies now offers a full line of mouthwatering caramels to over 800 retail outlets throughout North America.
- Hardest part of the business is maintaining cash flow and capital for growth
- Know your numbers and stay true to your margins.
- Good people are worth their weight in gold
- Always be ready for buyers – they’re everywhere
- Start day with non-business reading—something that feeds your interest
- Listen to audio books in the car
Audible, online books
Quotables from Kate
“I wish someone had told me success can be extremely expensive.”
“It’s critical to have a peer group of people at your level or a step above.”
“We’re not a failure for having problems, even really big problems. It’s just a matter of working out the solution.”